`Bodhi tree` branches chopped off
Gaya: Some branches of the `Bodhi tree`, under which Lord Buddha attained enlightenment, were chopped off on Wednesday after a branch fell on the Mahabodhi temple in Bodh Gaya on July 29.
The chopping took place in the presence OF local officials on the instructions of the Dehradun-based Forest Research Institute (FRI) and Bodh Gaya Temple Management Committee (BTMC).
Secretary and members of the BTMC, N Dorjee and Radhakrishna Mishra and Arvind Singh respectively were present when the exercise took place.
The FRI has been entrusted with the task of looking after the tree.
A team of FRI comes here from time to time to maintain the tree, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?