Cold wave sweeps Bihar, rail and air services affected
Patna: Bihar is in the grip of cold wave-like situation with the minimum temperature plummeting sharply with foggy weather conditions disrupting rail and air services.
Meteorological office Director A K Sen said there has been sharp decline in the day temperatures over the past three-four days which has set in chilly weather condition throughout Bihar.
The condition will persist over the next couple of days with chilly winds sweeping through the plain regions of the state, he said.
Chapra remained the coldest place in Bihar with a minimum temperature of 6.2 degree celsius, while Patna, Gaya and Muzaffarpur recorded minimum temperature at 7.7, 6.7 and 9.1 degree celsius this morning, the Met office said.
A thick fog enveloped large parts of the state disrupting rail and air services with a number of trains, including the Delhi-Patna Rajdhani Express running late by several hours, Railways sources said.
Landing and take-off of commercial flights at Patna airport were affected due to poor visibility, airport director Arvind Dube said.
The state government has made arrangements for bonfires at public places like bus stands, street corners and night shelters, Disaster Management Minister Renu Kumari said.
It has sanctioned Rs 28 lakh for bonfires and related arrangements for the poor people, she said.
The big districts have been given Rs two lakh each and the smaller districts Rs 50,000 each, she said.
All schools in Patna district have been closed down till January one next due to the cold conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India