Cold wave sweeps Bihar, rail and air services affected
Patna: Bihar is in the grip of cold wave-like situation with the minimum temperature plummeting sharply with foggy weather conditions disrupting rail and air services.
Meteorological office Director A K Sen said there has been sharp decline in the day temperatures over the past three-four days which has set in chilly weather condition throughout Bihar.
The condition will persist over the next couple of days with chilly winds sweeping through the plain regions of the state, he said.
Chapra remained the coldest place in Bihar with a minimum temperature of 6.2 degree celsius, while Patna, Gaya and Muzaffarpur recorded minimum temperature at 7.7, 6.7 and 9.1 degree celsius this morning, the Met office said.
A thick fog enveloped large parts of the state disrupting rail and air services with a number of trains, including the Delhi-Patna Rajdhani Express running late by several hours, Railways sources said.
Landing and take-off of commercial flights at Patna airport were affected due to poor visibility, airport director Arvind Dube said.
The state government has made arrangements for bonfires at public places like bus stands, street corners and night shelters, Disaster Management Minister Renu Kumari said.
It has sanctioned Rs 28 lakh for bonfires and related arrangements for the poor people, she said.
The big districts have been given Rs two lakh each and the smaller districts Rs 50,000 each, she said.
All schools in Patna district have been closed down till January one next due to the cold conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday