DY Patil sworn in as Bihar Governor
Patna: Well known educationist and Padma Shri awardee DY Patil was on Friday sworn in as the 34th Governor of Bihar at a function here at Rajbhawan.
Chief Justice of Patna High Court Rekha M Doshit administered the oath of office and secrecy to 77-year-old Patil.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi, a host of ministers of the state and senior officials were present on the occasion.
Patil, who was the Governor of Tripura, replaced Devenand Konwar who would take his position in the north-eastern state.
A well-known philanthropist, Patil has founded a number of educational institutes in Maharashtra including the DY Patil college of Engineering and Technology at Kolhapur and DY Patil College of Engineering in Pune in 1984.
Born in Kolhapur in Maharashtra on October 22, 1935, Patil received the Padma Shri award in 1991 for social work.
His son Satej is the minister of state for Home in Maharashtra presently.
Talking to PTI on the sidelines, former Congress chief of Mumbai Kripashankar Singh said that the appointment of Patil as Bihar Governor and arrival of a large number of politicians and other distinguished people from Maharashtra to attend the swearing-in ceremony reflected the love and bonding between citizens of the two states.
Patil is the fourth person from Maharashtra to occupy Rajbhawan in Patna. Before him Madhav Shrihari Aney, D Bhandarkar and RS Gavai had adorned the gubernatorial post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...