DY Patil sworn in as Bihar Governor
Patna: Well known educationist and Padma Shri awardee DY Patil was on Friday sworn in as the 34th Governor of Bihar at a function here at Rajbhawan.
Chief Justice of Patna High Court Rekha M Doshit administered the oath of office and secrecy to 77-year-old Patil.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi, a host of ministers of the state and senior officials were present on the occasion.
Patil, who was the Governor of Tripura, replaced Devenand Konwar who would take his position in the north-eastern state.
A well-known philanthropist, Patil has founded a number of educational institutes in Maharashtra including the DY Patil college of Engineering and Technology at Kolhapur and DY Patil College of Engineering in Pune in 1984.
Born in Kolhapur in Maharashtra on October 22, 1935, Patil received the Padma Shri award in 1991 for social work.
His son Satej is the minister of state for Home in Maharashtra presently.
Talking to PTI on the sidelines, former Congress chief of Mumbai Kripashankar Singh said that the appointment of Patil as Bihar Governor and arrival of a large number of politicians and other distinguished people from Maharashtra to attend the swearing-in ceremony reflected the love and bonding between citizens of the two states.
Patil is the fourth person from Maharashtra to occupy Rajbhawan in Patna. Before him Madhav Shrihari Aney, D Bhandarkar and RS Gavai had adorned the gubernatorial post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice