Female literacy rate leapfrogs to 53% in Bihar: Nitish Kumar
Patna: Literacy among women in Bihar has leapfrogged to over 53 per cent from 33 per cent 12 years ago due to sustained efforts of the government, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said.
"Due to the hard labour of our government the female literacy rate in Bihar which was 33 per cent in 2001 leapfrogged to over 53 per cent in 2011," Kumar told a seminar here.
The central government has rewarded Bihar government for the rise, he said.
"But, still we are not happy. We are paying greater attention to literacy so that Bihar figures among the first five states in connection with it in 2021 census," the CM said and emphasised on the might of the pen over sticks as stressed by his rival Lalu Prasad.
Kumar, who was addressing the seminar at Madrasa Jamilia and Madrasa Humaira Samanpura, lamented lower literacy rates among minorities, mahadalits and the extremely backward castes and stressed on improving it.
He said with the implementation of the Right to Education 25 per cent of the seats in private schools are given to students from the poorer sections and highlighted different schemes like free distribution of bicycle and uniform to students of his government to motivate children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!