Female literacy rate leapfrogs to 53% in Bihar: Nitish Kumar
Patna: Literacy among women in Bihar has leapfrogged to over 53 per cent from 33 per cent 12 years ago due to sustained efforts of the government, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said.
"Due to the hard labour of our government the female literacy rate in Bihar which was 33 per cent in 2001 leapfrogged to over 53 per cent in 2011," Kumar told a seminar here.
The central government has rewarded Bihar government for the rise, he said.
"But, still we are not happy. We are paying greater attention to literacy so that Bihar figures among the first five states in connection with it in 2021 census," the CM said and emphasised on the might of the pen over sticks as stressed by his rival Lalu Prasad.
Kumar, who was addressing the seminar at Madrasa Jamilia and Madrasa Humaira Samanpura, lamented lower literacy rates among minorities, mahadalits and the extremely backward castes and stressed on improving it.
He said with the implementation of the Right to Education 25 per cent of the seats in private schools are given to students from the poorer sections and highlighted different schemes like free distribution of bicycle and uniform to students of his government to motivate children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31