Hope for conjoined Patna twins after SC ruling
Patna: The parents of 16-year-old conjoined twins Saba and Farah are eagerly awaiting government help to surgically separate them.
This follows a Supreme Court directive to the central government to set up a panel of doctors to examine the surgical possibility since the family is too poor to foot the bill.
"The court has brought a ray of hope for us," Saba, lying on a bed with Farah at their residence in Samanpur, a Muslim locality here, told a news agency.
Farah agreed -- with a smile on her face.
"They share everything, their pain and happiness. The Supreme Court order has given us fresh hope," said their father Shakeel Ahmad.
Ahmad, who runs a small roadside eatery here, said only the government could help them family.
"Both girls are not keeping well for the last two years. Their condition is deteriorating. We are poor and helpless. We can only pray to god."
Rubina Khatoon, the mother, said the long delay in carrying out a surgery to separate them has affected their health.
"Now they consume very little food and cry in pain," she said.
Ahmad recalled that a few years ago, one of the rulers in the Gulf region promised to bear the cost of the operation.
"But after initial consultation at Delhi`s Apollo hospital, everything was forgotten," he said.
American neurosurgeon Benjamin Carson had travelled to New Delhi to study them. He agreed to perform the risky operation assisted by Indian doctors.
Carson had said then that the surgery was risky and there were chances of only one girl surviving.
Although the twins have distinct brains and are neurologically and psychologically normal, only one of them has kidneys.
The apex court Monday directed a panel of doctors, including those from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, to give their opinion on the scope of surgery.
The court direction came on a public interest litigation by Aarushi Dhasmana, a law student from Pune-based Symbiosis Law School.
Doctors say Saba and Farah will have to undergo a series of surgeries before they can be separated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'