LJP spokesman joins JD-U
Patna: Ruling JD(U) got a shot in arm with state Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) spokesman and a Congress leader on Friday joining the party ahead of Maharajganj Lok Sabha by-poll.
LJP spokesman Shailendra Pratap Singh and Congress leader Gyandeo Mani Tripathi joined JD(U) in presence of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Bihar JD(U) president Vashist Narayan Singh gave membership of the party to the two at the party headquarters here.
The joining of the two is sure to give a boost to JD(U) in the Maharajganj by-elections where a triangular contest between JD(U), RJD and Congress is on the cards.
Singh told reporters that he left Ram Vilas Paswan`s party because the LJP is supporting RJD nominee Pranbhunath Singh in the Maharajganj by-poll.
He said Prabhunath Singh has always "suppressed" weaker sections of society and supporting such a person was not possible for him.
Singh and Tripathi hailed leadership of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and said they would work hard under his leadership in taking Bihar forward on the path of development.
Singh had unsuccessfully contested Assembly election from Amnour on LJP ticket. Tripathi had contested Legislative Council election on Congress ticket but lost.
The Maharajganj by-poll is slated for June 2. The by-election was necessitated due to death of RJD`s Umashankar Singh.
While JD (U) has fielded state Education Minister PK Shahi, the Congress candidate is Umashankar Singh`s son Jitendra Swami and RJD`s nominee is Prabhunath Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city