Manjhi raises `special status` demand for Bihar with Narendra Modi
Patna: The new Bihar Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi has raised the issue of special category status for Bihar, the pet demand of his predecessor Nitish Kumar, with Prime Minister-designate Narendra Modi.
Manjhi raised the issue of special category status for Bihar when Modi had telephoned him after he was sworn-in as the Chief Minister succeeding Nitish Kumar. The new CM was addressing a section of media during an interaction late last evening.
"I had raised the demand for special status to Bihar when Narendra Modi had called to congratulate me after my swearing-in as the Chief Minister. The grant of special category to our state will go a long way in sending a good message among the poor," said Manjhi.
Carrying forward the agenda of his predecessor, Manjhi said if it was not fulfilled, a long agitation will be launched in the state.
Special category status had been prominently raised by Nitish Kumar. The issue also topped the agenda of JD(U) during the general elections.
Kumar had organised two mega-rallies at Patna and New Delhi in support of special category status for Bihar. He had given the call for a one-day `Bihar Bandh` when the UPA government had announced the special category status and special package for Seemandhra in the wake of the division of the state of Andhra Pradesh.
Narendra Modi, while campaigning for the Lok Sabha polls, had announced that if he came to power, he would provide `special status`, `special package` and `special attention` to Bihar and other Northeastern states for their better development.
Manjhi also said he has been invited to the swearing-in ceremony of Modi as the Prime Minister on May 26 at Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi.
"I have got the invite sent by the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) for Modi`s swearing-in function. I will take a decision soon," Manjhi told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway