Muslims help Hindus build Shiva temple in Bihar
Sitamarhi (Bihar): While violence over the expansion of a Hindu temple near Charminar in Muslim-dominated Hyderabad`s Old City is hogging media attention, in Bihar`s Sitamarhi district, Muslims have been quietly helping Hindus construct a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, ahead of the Chhath festival.
"Muslims are not only donating money for temple construction, they are also actively involved in ensuring that it should come up soon," Rajkishore Raut, president of the Shiva Temple Construction Committee, told IANS.
Raut, a school teacher, said the construction of the temple was a fine example of Hindu-Muslim brotherhood.
Mohammad Sadre Alam Khan, a villager, said that dozens of Muslims, including village head Akbari Khatoon, have contributed in one way or another for the construction of the temple.
"This is a positive development for the village as a whole," Khan said.
Another villager, Lalbabu Sah, said that villagers of both the communities were working jointly for the construction of the temple.
"The construction of the temple will strengthen harmony between the two communities and pave the way for greater cooperation in future," Sah told IANS.
Sitamarhi town, which had a history of communal conflict, witnessed rioting in the mid-1990s. Muslims comprise around 16 percent of the 105 million people of Bihar.
Just months ago, Muslims observing Ramadan helped in the construction of a Jain temple in Bhagalpur town in the state.
Mohammad Janeshar Akhtar even demolished a portion of his house in Bhagalpur to enable the movement of a 70-foot truck laden with a granite stone block meant for an idol in the temple.
Other Muslims had helped widen the street so that the vehicle could reach the temple without difficulty.
Earlier this year, some Muslims had helped in building a Hindu temple dedicated to goddess Durga in Bihar`s Gaya district.
Muslims there not only donated money but engaged in the actual construction of the temple.
Earlier, a Muslim had donated land for a temple dedicated to god Shiva in Begusarai district. Mohammad Fakhrool Islam had given his land for the temple in the Muslim-dominated Bachwara village.
As Charminar and the Bhagyalakshmi temple abutting the 400-year-old monument get so much attention, these instances of collaboration between the two communities in temple construction cannot be ignored.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof