NHRC notice on reports of water denial to Dalits i
New Delhi: Taking cognisance of media reports that Dalits in a village in Bihar have been denied water, the National Human Rights Commission today issued notices to the state Chief Secretary and Kishaganj District Magistrate.
The Commission said reportedly, higher castes persons, including the panchayat head, issued a diktat ordering Dalits not to use village water as they had complained that money meant for welfare schemes was being siphoned off by the panchayat members.
"Allegedly, the children of Dalit families were warned of dire consequences if they attended the village schools," a release by NHRC said.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press report, if true, raised a serious issue of violation of human rights of Dalits and issued notices to the Chief Secretary, Bihar and the District Magistrate, Kishanganj, returnable in four weeks, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui