NHRC notice on reports of water denial to Dalits i
New Delhi: Taking cognisance of media reports that Dalits in a village in Bihar have been denied water, the National Human Rights Commission today issued notices to the state Chief Secretary and Kishaganj District Magistrate.
The Commission said reportedly, higher castes persons, including the panchayat head, issued a diktat ordering Dalits not to use village water as they had complained that money meant for welfare schemes was being siphoned off by the panchayat members.
"Allegedly, the children of Dalit families were warned of dire consequences if they attended the village schools," a release by NHRC said.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press report, if true, raised a serious issue of violation of human rights of Dalits and issued notices to the Chief Secretary, Bihar and the District Magistrate, Kishanganj, returnable in four weeks, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city