NHRC notice on reports of water denial to Dalits i
New Delhi: Taking cognisance of media reports that Dalits in a village in Bihar have been denied water, the National Human Rights Commission today issued notices to the state Chief Secretary and Kishaganj District Magistrate.
The Commission said reportedly, higher castes persons, including the panchayat head, issued a diktat ordering Dalits not to use village water as they had complained that money meant for welfare schemes was being siphoned off by the panchayat members.
"Allegedly, the children of Dalit families were warned of dire consequences if they attended the village schools," a release by NHRC said.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press report, if true, raised a serious issue of violation of human rights of Dalits and issued notices to the Chief Secretary, Bihar and the District Magistrate, Kishanganj, returnable in four weeks, it said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Investigative agencies have ability to find money trail: Jayant Sinha
- Theory that UPA blacklisted AgustaWestland 'figment of somebody's imagination', says Arun Jaitley
- Sex once a week best for your relationship
- 'The Flash' movie loses director over creative differences?
- Odd-even scheme again successful: Gopal Rai