NHRC notice on reports of water denial to Dalits i
New Delhi: Taking cognisance of media reports that Dalits in a village in Bihar have been denied water, the National Human Rights Commission today issued notices to the state Chief Secretary and Kishaganj District Magistrate.
The Commission said reportedly, higher castes persons, including the panchayat head, issued a diktat ordering Dalits not to use village water as they had complained that money meant for welfare schemes was being siphoned off by the panchayat members.
"Allegedly, the children of Dalit families were warned of dire consequences if they attended the village schools," a release by NHRC said.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press report, if true, raised a serious issue of violation of human rights of Dalits and issued notices to the Chief Secretary, Bihar and the District Magistrate, Kishanganj, returnable in four weeks, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death
- Leigh Griffiths puts struggling Celtic in Champions League driving seat
- Reality TV personality Khloe Kardashian slams Donald Trump
- New music by Beatles legend George Harrison to be released
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Pakistan in August for SAARC meet