NHRC notice on reports of water denial to Dalits i
New Delhi: Taking cognisance of media reports that Dalits in a village in Bihar have been denied water, the National Human Rights Commission today issued notices to the state Chief Secretary and Kishaganj District Magistrate.
The Commission said reportedly, higher castes persons, including the panchayat head, issued a diktat ordering Dalits not to use village water as they had complained that money meant for welfare schemes was being siphoned off by the panchayat members.
"Allegedly, the children of Dalit families were warned of dire consequences if they attended the village schools," a release by NHRC said.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press report, if true, raised a serious issue of violation of human rights of Dalits and issued notices to the Chief Secretary, Bihar and the District Magistrate, Kishanganj, returnable in four weeks, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days