Nitish slams Congress for putting special status issue on `backburner`
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday slammed Congress saying it has put the issue of special category status for Bihar on the "back burner" under the influence of its "natural ally".
"Congress has put the issue of special category status for Bihar on the back burner under the influence of its natural ally. We will certainly raise the issue in 2014 Lok Sabha polls," Kumar told reporters at the airport on landing from New Delhi, in an apparent reference to RJD.
Amid reports of strain in the relationship between RJD and LJP in the process of pre-poll tie-up, Kumar said though there has not been any talks with the Ramvilas Paswan party for partnership (but) "politics is a game of possibilities".
The Centre had constituted a committee under Raghuram Rajan, now RBI Governor, to decide criteria for defining backwardness on economic considerations and it had given a report placing Bihar among least developed states category.
"The matter for grant of special category status was tipped to come up in the meeting of Finance Secretary which has been now put on hold, indicating a change of mind of Congress due to political considerations," Kumar said.
He made it clear that JD(U) did not have any "political issue" with Congress and their interactions recently were on the subject of granting special category status to Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed