Panchayat to impose penalty on branding woman witch
Madhepura (Bihar): Days after banning consumption of liquor, gambling and playing of obscene songs, a panchayat in Bihar`s Madhepura district has again cracked the whip -- this time against those branding any woman a witch.
The Mithai panchayat has decided to impose a penalty of Rs 2,100 on anyone calling a woman a witch, panchayat chief (mukhiya) Madhumala said.
"We have taken a unanimous decision to protect dignity of our women in the panchayat and deter anyone from calling a woman a witch," she said.
"It is yet another social evil in our society where women are subjected to harassment and cruelty in the name of being a witch," she said.
The decision in this regard was taken days ahead of the festival of light - Diwali, the mukhiya said and hoped that the resolution will encourage people of her panchayat to help eradicate the age-old vice of harassment and ostracising of women after being branded witch.
Madhumala justified deterrent steps saying the vice persisted despite a law being in place over the past 13 years to root it out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral