Panchayat to impose penalty on branding woman witch
Madhepura (Bihar): Days after banning consumption of liquor, gambling and playing of obscene songs, a panchayat in Bihar`s Madhepura district has again cracked the whip -- this time against those branding any woman a witch.
The Mithai panchayat has decided to impose a penalty of Rs 2,100 on anyone calling a woman a witch, panchayat chief (mukhiya) Madhumala said.
"We have taken a unanimous decision to protect dignity of our women in the panchayat and deter anyone from calling a woman a witch," she said.
"It is yet another social evil in our society where women are subjected to harassment and cruelty in the name of being a witch," she said.
The decision in this regard was taken days ahead of the festival of light - Diwali, the mukhiya said and hoped that the resolution will encourage people of her panchayat to help eradicate the age-old vice of harassment and ostracising of women after being branded witch.
Madhumala justified deterrent steps saying the vice persisted despite a law being in place over the past 13 years to root it out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Football Tourism: PSG will receive $197 million to promote tourism in Qatar
- Nitin Gadkari appointed as BJP election in-charge for Goa Assembly polls
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday
- Cabinet raises compensation for terror, blast victims
- Present ICC ranking system is not satisfactory: Javed Miandad