President arrives in Patna to a rousing welcome
Patna: President Pranab Mukherjee arrived here on Wednesday to a rousing welcome on his first visit to Bihar after assuming the high office in July.
People in large numbers lined the streets to welcome Mukherjee as his calvalcde left the airport here. The President, who is scheduled to attend functions in Patna and Darbhanga, will be proceeding to Mumbai tomorrow before returning to the capital.
Bihar Governor Devanand Konwar and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar received the President at the airport here.
Kumar had come to New Delhi to personally extend an invitation to Mukherjee to visit Bihar. Kumar`s party JD-U, despite being a key constituent of NDA, had voted for Mukherjee in the Presidential election after going against its ally BJP which had backed P A Sangma.
Mukherjee will be attending a function for the launch of Agriculture Road Map of Bihar (2012-2017) and also unveil a plaque of Rajendra Mandap hall here.
The President will also address the 4th convocation of Lalit Narayan Mithila University at Darbhanga. Mukherjee will be the second President after APJ Abdul Kalam to address the convocation. Kalam had delivered the convocation address there in 2005.
On October 4, the President will leave for Mumbai where he will inaugurate the 7th Edition of India CHEM 2012, an event of the chemicals and petrochemicals industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’