Speedy trial of pending rape cases ordered in Bihar
Patna: Police officials in Bihar have been asked to speed up investigations in rape cases and submit chargesheets.
In a letter to all district superintendents of police, Inspector General of Police (Weaker section) Arvind Pandey directed them to expedite investigation into pending cases and submit chargesheet without loss of time.
The IG said the step was in pursuance of the state government`s policy of zero tolerance towards crime, particularly against women.
Pandey said till October 2012, 482 cases of rape and 183 cases of harassment of women were pending in different parts of the state.
Meanwhile, on instruction of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Deputy Resident Commissioner of Bihar in Delhi, Vipin Kumar, has gone to Jaipur to see an 11-year-old girl from Bihar who was gang-raped allegedly by six persons in Rajasthan four months ago.
The girl hailing from Darbhanga in Bihar is recuperating in a hospital in Jaipur after undergoing nearly a dozen operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre