Supreme Court grants bail to jailed tribal activist Soni Sori
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday granted bail to jailed tribal activist Soni Sori.
Soni Sori and her nephew Lingaram Kodopi were detained in Chhattisgarh since October and September 2011 respectively. Sori was arrested for allegedly receiving money from Essar Group on behalf of Maoists.
A bench of Justices SS Nijjar and FM Ibrahim Kalifulla granted relief to the duo but imposed a condition that they will not be in Chhattisgarh during the probe in the case.
Their plea was opposed by advocate Atul Jha appearing for Chhattisgarh government, but the court directed that the duo be released on bail as the other accused in the case, too, had received bail.
Sori was earlier denied bail to perform last rites of her husband Anil Futane, who died on August 02, 2013.
According to police, Kodopi and BK Lala, a building contractor with Essar Steel Ltd, were nabbed from a weekly market at Palnar village in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh on September 9, 2011, with Rs 15 lakh in cash, which was allegedly meant to be paid to Maoist ultras.
Police had claimed that Sori was also associated with Kodopi, but had managed to flee the spot.
Sori was arrested on October 4, 2011, in New Delhi while Essar Steel Ltd general manager DVCS Verma, too, was arrested in connection with the case.
A Dantewada district court had granted bail to Verma and contractor Lala.
Sori, 36, a school teacher in Jabeli village of Dantewada, and her nephew Kodopi, 26, a journalist, were critical of human rights violations committed both by the security forces and the armed Maoists in Chhattisgarh.
Sori had alleged that she was tortured while she was in police custody on October 08 and 09, 2011. In letters written to the Supreme Court, she had said that police officials stripped and sexually assaulted her and gave her electric shocks.
A senior police official who Sori said had ordered and supervised her torture was conferred a gallantry award by the President of India in January 2012.
On September 28, Amnesty International had submitted a petition to the Chhattisgarh Chief Minister urging him to drop all charges against Sori and Kodopi.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA