Bribe case: BJP calls for judicious approach
New Delhi: support to Defence Minister A K Antony on issues of military preparedness, procurement and modernisation, BJP on Tuesday suggested adopting a judicious approach on these in the wake of allegations of corruption.
"Over the last few months facts, which have been coming
out in public domain are indeed disturbing... issues which
should be settled in closed doors are now becoming a matter of
unnecessary public debates, which in subject of armed forces
is to be avoided," Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya
Sabha Arun Jaitley said.
Raising the issue of Army Chief Gen V K Singh`s allegation
that he was offered bribe of Rs 14 crore for passing a
contract for sub-standard vehicles, he said the government
should take steps to end quickly the impression that "there is
eventually civilian control of armed forces".
On why the Defence Minister or the Army Chief did not act
at the time the issue was raised, Jaitley questioned, "Is this
an issue both of whom have put blinkers on their eyes and not
inquired into the matter at all...Then we are learning to live
The Leader of the Opposition said, "We are completely with
you if you want to cleanse", but said "defence preparedness
and procurement and modernisation should not hamper".
"Such tendency is hurting the country`s defence
preparedness ... Therefore, we must adopt a judicious
approach," he said.
His party colleague S S Ahluwalia expressed confidence in
Antony but asked the terms of reference of the CBI inquiry.
Balbir Punj (BJP) said, "You are taking action on anonymous
complaints. Here, the Army Chief is coming and complaining to
you and then what action are you taking..."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?