Bribe case: BJP calls for judicious approach
New Delhi: support to Defence Minister A K Antony on issues of military preparedness, procurement and modernisation, BJP on Tuesday suggested adopting a judicious approach on these in the wake of allegations of corruption.
"Over the last few months facts, which have been coming
out in public domain are indeed disturbing... issues which
should be settled in closed doors are now becoming a matter of
unnecessary public debates, which in subject of armed forces
is to be avoided," Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya
Sabha Arun Jaitley said.
Raising the issue of Army Chief Gen V K Singh`s allegation
that he was offered bribe of Rs 14 crore for passing a
contract for sub-standard vehicles, he said the government
should take steps to end quickly the impression that "there is
eventually civilian control of armed forces".
On why the Defence Minister or the Army Chief did not act
at the time the issue was raised, Jaitley questioned, "Is this
an issue both of whom have put blinkers on their eyes and not
inquired into the matter at all...Then we are learning to live
The Leader of the Opposition said, "We are completely with
you if you want to cleanse", but said "defence preparedness
and procurement and modernisation should not hamper".
"Such tendency is hurting the country`s defence
preparedness ... Therefore, we must adopt a judicious
approach," he said.
His party colleague S S Ahluwalia expressed confidence in
Antony but asked the terms of reference of the CBI inquiry.
Balbir Punj (BJP) said, "You are taking action on anonymous
complaints. Here, the Army Chief is coming and complaining to
you and then what action are you taking..."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'