Cong promises transparency in municipal admin
New Delhi: Developmental works and bringing
accountability and transparency in municipal administration
are among the promises made by Congress for the April 15
municipal polls in the city.
The party came out with separate manifestos for each of
the three new municipalities, focusing on specific needs of
the areas on sectors like health, education, sanitation and
other basic infrastructure.
The function brought together almost all the Delhi
Congress leaders including Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit,
Union Ministers Ajay Maken and Krishna Tirath, DPCC president
JP Agarwal, senior AICC leaders Motilal Vohra, Janardhan
Dwivedi and MPs Mahabal Mishra and Ramesh Sharma.
Speaking at the function Dikshit said the basic objective
of the party would be to ensure transparency and
accountability in municipal administration if Congress comes
back to power in the municipal bodies.
"Our basic objective would be to make Delhi a clean city
which the BJP ruled MCD had failed miserably in the past five
years. The MCD failed to deliver as it was riddled with
corruption and irregularities," Dikshit said.
Claiming credit for significantly improving
infrastructure of the city, Dikshit, however, said the
BJP-ruled MCD failed miserably to ensure cleanliness across
"Congress government gave a new look to the city. But
look at the MCD. It totally failed even to ensure basic
cleanliness across the city," she said.
Talking about alleged corruption in the MCD, Dikshit
pointed towards several scams in the municipality including
the ghost employee scam and accused the agency of not taking
any action against the guilty.
She also blamed "corruption" in the MCD for a number of
building collapse in the city in the last couple of years
saying "unsafe constructions" have been taking place across
despite a spate of building collapses in which hundreds of
innocent lives have been lost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says