`Congress will back constitutionally passed Jan Lokpal bill`
New Delhi: Delhi Congress chief Arvinder Singh Lovely on Friday said the Jan Lokpal bill will be fully supported by his party if passed in accordance with the Constitution.
"I have written to Arvind Kejriwal specifying that the Congress has supported the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on its 18-point agenda, which includes the Jan Lokpal bill, and continues to do so. We have no doubt about that," Lovely told media persons here.
"If he wants to make it a law, instead of a political agenda, it should be in accordance with the Constitution. We will then wholeheartedly support it," Lovely said.
He said the Jan Lokpal bill was not on the house`s agenda on Thursday.
Refuting Kejriwal`s claim that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress are united, Lovely said the parties can never compromise owing to ideological differences.
"If that had been the case, the chief minister would not have been the chief minister today. His being at the post is enough evidence to prove that the parties are not one," he said.
Lovely also said that though the Congress supports the AAP on the Jan Lokpal bill, it will not backtrack from stepping on to the street with matters related to AAP leader and Law Minister Somnath Bharti.
"How can a party fight corruption when it is unwilling to take action against a corrupt leader," said Lovely, adding that the issue is a "sensitive one".
Congress leader Haroon Yusuf said since the upcoming Lok Sabha Elections are looming on the AAP`s mind, the party is not following constitutional procedures.
"The way the bill is being bulldozed, it looks like Kejriwal and his government are in a hurry to give out the message that they were fighting corruption and no one was supporting them," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read