Court lets off lawyer accused in child labour case
New Delhi: A woman lawyer booked under the
Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act for allegedly
employing a minor girl as a domestic servant, has been let off
by a Delhi court as the girl denied being forced to do any
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Rajneesh Kumar Gupta
quashed the magisterial court`s order issuing notice against
advocate Jasmine Ahmed and discharged her, saying that there
was no evidence against her.
The ASJ referred to an earlier order of a sessions court
which had quashed the FIR against Jasmine`s husband Nayan
Ahmed, a senior scientist at Indian Agricultural Research
Institute, in the same case with an observation that the
couple was doing "noble act by raring a destitute minor girl".
The court noted that the girl had denied being forced to
do any work and said, "It is evident that the girl is not
forced into any kind of labour as a domestic servant".
The FIR lodged in 2009 on a complaint of a inspecting
officer (Labour) had stated that girl was found to be working
at the couple`s residence inside the Pusa campus of Indian
Agricultural Research Institute as a domestic servant.
Jasmine Ahmed contended that they treated the girl like
their daughter with love and affection and moved the sessions
court against notice issued to her by a magistrate`s court.
She said the girl`s father had deserted the child and her
mentally unstable mother so they had agreed to take her care
as foster child.
"I am of the opinion that no offence punishable under
provisions of the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation)
Act, 1986 has been made out against the petitioner. The
impugned order passed by the trial court in is set aside and
the petitioner is discharged," the ASJ held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department