Defamation case: Summons to Delhi BJP chief
New Delhi: Fresh summons were issued Friday to Delhi BJP President Vijender Gupta as he failed appear before a Delhi court to respond to Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s complaint for his prosecution for allegedly defaming her.
Metropolitan Magistrate Saumya Chauhan, who had on June 4 sought Gupta`s appearance for today, issued fresh summons for July 12 to the Delhi BJP chief seeking his reply on Dikshit`s allegation that he had used "uncivilised language" to defame her before the recent MCD polls, held on April 15.
"Issue fresh summons. Put up the matter for hearing on July 12," the court ordered.
Dikshit`s lawyer Mehmood Paracha had earlier told the court that the BJP leader is required to be summoned to find out if his defamatory remarks before the MCD polls were to gain political mileage by maligning the chief minister.
Dikshit had also recorded her statement before the metropolitan magistrate in the case on May 30.
She had filed the criminal defamation case alleging that the BJP leader used "uncivilised" language against her before the MCD polls.
The chief minister had also filed a civil suit in the Delhi High Court demanding a token damages of Rs one from Gupta for erecting hoardings across the city, accusing her government of conniving with private discoms and indulging in corruption in determining power tariff.
Gupta, however, had contended in the high court that "fair" criticism is part and parcel of a healthy democracy.
The chief minister had testified that she had sent legal notices to Gupta after the civic polls but the BJP leader did not apologise and rather stood by his remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says