Defamation case: Summons to Delhi BJP chief
New Delhi: Fresh summons were issued Friday to Delhi BJP President Vijender Gupta as he failed appear before a Delhi court to respond to Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s complaint for his prosecution for allegedly defaming her.
Metropolitan Magistrate Saumya Chauhan, who had on June 4 sought Gupta`s appearance for today, issued fresh summons for July 12 to the Delhi BJP chief seeking his reply on Dikshit`s allegation that he had used "uncivilised language" to defame her before the recent MCD polls, held on April 15.
"Issue fresh summons. Put up the matter for hearing on July 12," the court ordered.
Dikshit`s lawyer Mehmood Paracha had earlier told the court that the BJP leader is required to be summoned to find out if his defamatory remarks before the MCD polls were to gain political mileage by maligning the chief minister.
Dikshit had also recorded her statement before the metropolitan magistrate in the case on May 30.
She had filed the criminal defamation case alleging that the BJP leader used "uncivilised" language against her before the MCD polls.
The chief minister had also filed a civil suit in the Delhi High Court demanding a token damages of Rs one from Gupta for erecting hoardings across the city, accusing her government of conniving with private discoms and indulging in corruption in determining power tariff.
Gupta, however, had contended in the high court that "fair" criticism is part and parcel of a healthy democracy.
The chief minister had testified that she had sent legal notices to Gupta after the civic polls but the BJP leader did not apologise and rather stood by his remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar