EC holds DD News guilty of violating Model Code in Delhi polls
New Delhi: The Election Commission has held the state-run Doordarshan guilty of violating the Model Code of Conduct by telecasting news about reduced prices of vegetables on the day of Delhi assembly polls and asked its Director General to fix responsibility of officers involved.
Rejecting the contention of Doordarshan that it had not violated the Model Code by telecasting such a news early morning on the day of Delhi elections, the Commission has held that it had violated the Model Code and sought fixing of responsibility.
According to sources, DD News was issued a notice by the Commission after it was brought to its notice that on December 4 at around 1 AM it aired a news regarding reduced prices of vegetables by taking the views of public.
This was found to be prima-facie violative of the Model Code of Conduct by the poll body and it sought an explanation from DD News.
The Election Commission has also sent a copy of its order to CEO Prasar Bharti and the Secretary Ministry of Information and Broadcasting under whose purview Doordarshan News falls.
Price rise and high vegetable prices was a major issue in the Delhi polls held on December 4.
In its campaign the BJP had put out hoardings all over the town outside bus stops highlighting the high prices of vegetables, while the AAP which routed the Congress and formed a government in Delhi with its support later had also made it an issue during campaigning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video