Man asked to pay Rs 25K monthly maintenance to estranged wife
New Delhi: A local court has directed a man to pay Rs 25,000 per month as interim maintenance to his three minor children and estranged wife, who is living at her parental house due to harassment by her husband and in-laws.
Metropolitan magistrate Rachna T Lakhanpal asked the man, a Delhi resident, to pay the maintenance while dismissing his contention that he is earning only Rs 2,700 per month by working as a helper in a shoe shop.
"... It is crystal clear that to avoid maintenance to his wife and children, this false and frivolous plea of being employed at a private shop has been taken (by the husband) and because of this reason, detailed affidavit of declaration has not been filed by him," the court said.
The magistrate asked the man to pay maintenance saying, "As far as issue of interim maintenance is concerned, indisputably complainant is legally wedded wife of respondent and being the husband, respondent is legally and morally duty bound to provide her maintenance."
The order came on a petition filed by the estranged wife seeking interim maintenance, saying she had married the man on November 16, 2000 and had three children.
She alleged that huge money was spent on their marriage but her in-laws were not happy with the dowry. Her husband and in-laws started taunting her for the things which were given to them at the time of marriage.
The woman further said that her parents were "frequently and regularly mentally harassed" by her in-laws who used to make unjustified demand of gold ornaments, clothes, furniture and other articles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow