‘Medical colleges in four AIIMS-like institutes’
New Delhi: Government is making efforts to start medical colleges in four AIIMS-like institutes within this year and operationalise hospitals from next year, the
Rajya Sabha was told on Tuesday.
Government in 2006 had decided to set up six AIIMS-like
institutes, one each in Patna, Raipur, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar,
Jodhpur and Rishikesh in the first phase of Pradhan Mantri
Swasthya Surakasha Yojna.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said
during the Question Hour that the government was trying that
four of them start medical college from the current year and
hospital from the next year.
The minister also said there was no dearth of faculty for
AIIMS-like institutes in the country.
He said to encourage doctors of Indian origin practicing
abroad to work with government institutes, the Medical Council
of India (MCI) has been told that if they opt to work with
such institutes, they should be allowed private practice.
On appointment of directors to AIIMS-like institutes, Azad
said only two of the appointed directors agreed to join (Patna
and Bhopal). Since, the other four refused to go to different
places, the appointment process for the remaining four would
take place by the end of this month or early April.
In 2009, the government further decided to set up two more
AIIMS-like institutes at Raiganj in West Bengal and Raebareli
in Uttar Pradesh.
To a query regarding the institute in West Bengal, Azad
said the state government has not yet acquired land for the
projects. The minister said he had made several communication
in this regard to the present as well as past governments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah