‘Medical colleges in four AIIMS-like institutes’
New Delhi: Government is making efforts to start medical colleges in four AIIMS-like institutes within this year and operationalise hospitals from next year, the
Rajya Sabha was told on Tuesday.
Government in 2006 had decided to set up six AIIMS-like
institutes, one each in Patna, Raipur, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar,
Jodhpur and Rishikesh in the first phase of Pradhan Mantri
Swasthya Surakasha Yojna.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said
during the Question Hour that the government was trying that
four of them start medical college from the current year and
hospital from the next year.
The minister also said there was no dearth of faculty for
AIIMS-like institutes in the country.
He said to encourage doctors of Indian origin practicing
abroad to work with government institutes, the Medical Council
of India (MCI) has been told that if they opt to work with
such institutes, they should be allowed private practice.
On appointment of directors to AIIMS-like institutes, Azad
said only two of the appointed directors agreed to join (Patna
and Bhopal). Since, the other four refused to go to different
places, the appointment process for the remaining four would
take place by the end of this month or early April.
In 2009, the government further decided to set up two more
AIIMS-like institutes at Raiganj in West Bengal and Raebareli
in Uttar Pradesh.
To a query regarding the institute in West Bengal, Azad
said the state government has not yet acquired land for the
projects. The minister said he had made several communication
in this regard to the present as well as past governments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad