Rushdie row `match-fixing` by IB, jehadis: BJP
New Delhi: Dubbing the controversy
surrounding controversial author Salman Rushdie as a case of
"match fixing" between intelligence agencies and "jehadis",
BJP on Monday accused the Congress of using it to gain political
mileage in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh.
"It is a clear case of match fixing between intelligence
agencies and jehadis in which the Congress government of
Rajasthan played a supportive and active role," BJP chief
spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
He said the Rajasthan government has not denied
statements of Rushdie and the sponsors of the Jaipur
Literature Festival about intelligence inputs that "paid
assassins" from Mumbai could target him.
"But at the same time DGP of Maharashtra has gone on
record to say that they had not provided any input to
Rajasthan in this regard.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot insisted that his
government had received six messages from IB on the threat.
Prasad said keeping in mind the entire background, "it is
necessary to know who is speaking the truth."
If, as claimed by Gehlot that top intelligence officials
were aware of the input, then why was the Maharashtra police
not alerted about it so that they could take preemptive steps.
He said the entire episode had put a question mark on the
credibility and integrity of the intelligence agency.
Prasad demanded a probe into the matter to find out "who
was speaking the truth" and said since intelligence agencies
report to the Prime Minister, he should take note of it.
He said the UPA government`s decision to provide 4.5 per
cent sub-quota to minorities from the 27 per cent quota for
OBCs and promise to double it to 9 per cent would hurt the
interests of backwards.
"Congress has deliberately communalised UP polls.
(Congress general secretary) Digvijay Singh has termed the
Batla House encounter as fake and Congess president Sonia
Gandhi and party leader Rahul Gandhi have maintained silence
on it," the Rajya Sabha MP said.
He said Rushdie had been in India on several occasions in
the past but there were no protests and questioned the timing
of the present controversy ahead of assembly elections in five
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced