South African woman held with party drug worth Rs 18 cr at airport
New Delhi: A South African woman was arrested at the Indira Gandhi international airport here for allegedly trying to smuggle party drug worth about Rs 18 crore out of the country.
The accused, who is in her late 20s, had arrived at the IGIA to board a flight to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa on Wednesday.
She was intercepted by customs officials and on examination of her baggage, it was found containing Methaqualone weighing 22.235 kgs, said Rajiv Tandon, Commissioner of Customs (Import and General).
Methaqualone is a kind of sedative used for medical purposes. However, it is commonly used as party drug.
Methaqualone is also a controlled substance under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
A kilogram of Methaqualone fetches Rs 80 lakh in black market. "The total value of the seized drugs comes to Rs 17.79 crore approximately in the international market," Tandon said.
The passenger has been arrested and remanded to judicial custody, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL