Such problems part of coalition govts: Soni
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the controversy surrounding Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi, Congress on Thursday said "such problems and occasions" are part of
"Leader of the House in Lok Sabha Pranab Mukherjee has very clearly articulated that when you are a running coalition
government, such problems and occasions do arrive. They
happened in the past...," Union minister Ambika Soni told
Referring to attacks by the BJP in Parliament on the
issue, she said there were similar instances when the NDA was ruling for six years.
"What happened..? How they listened to coalition partners.
This happens. Each one has different political compulsions and they put it across," she said.
She scoffed at suggestions that the controversy has made
the UPA government a `laughing stock` but said it was
"I think such things should not happen, but since it has
taken place, we have to deal with it. But nevertheless, the
leadership is looking at it ... and as soon as the Prime
Minister has something which is concrete, the House will be
kept informed," she said, adding that the principle of "give
and take" applies to coalition governments.
The controversy arose after Trinamool chief Mamata
Banerjee took exception to her party colleague Trivedi
proposing hike in passenger fares in the Railway Budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter