Three get 15-year imprisonment for possessing 142 kg drug
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sentenced three men, including a postman, to 15 years of imprisonment for possessing over 140 kg banned drugs, saying the trio deserve no leniency as use of such contraband is affecting youths and "destroying the bone of society".
Special NDPS Judge Shail Jain awarded 15 years of rigorous imprisonment to West Bengal residents Jafar Ali and Shafi Islam and Delhi resident Sat Pal Mann, who was working as a postman, for possessing 142.67 kg ganja.
"The convicts were found in possession of 142.67 kg ganja, which is seven times more than the commercial quantity, hence considering the enormous quantity of ganja recovered... no leniency is deserved by them.
"Considering the facts and circumstances of the case and the fact that usage of drugs and narcotic substances is on rise which is affecting the youth of our society and destroying the bone of society, I sentence them to rigorous imprisonment for 15 years," the judge said and also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh each on them.
According to the prosecution, the three accused and their associate Ganesh, who was declared a proclaimed offender, were found in possession of 142.67 kg ganja on September 7, 2010 in Burari village here.
Police said Ganesh, Ali and Islam in connivance with Mann, postman of Burari Post Office, were involved in supply of drugs by booking parcels from Odisha through post office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers