Yamuna recedes in Delhi but more people evacuated
New Delhi: The water level of the Yamuna has fallen below the danger mark of 204.83 metres in the capital, a government official said on Friday. However, more people were evacuated from many areas along the river late Thursday as a precautionary measure.
"The water level of the Yamuna now stands at 204.63 metres, which is just a little below the danger mark of 204.83," Dharmpal, secretary of Delhi`s revenue and disaster management department, told a news agency.
The Yamuna river rose to 207.25 metres late Wednesday, the highest since 1978 when it had reached 207.49 metres.
"In total, now around 10,000 families have been evacuated from several areas along the Yamuna and shifted to about 9,000 relief camps erected around the city," Dharmpal added.
According to the official, the water level may rise if there is heavy rainfall in the city in the next few days.
In the last four days, 900,000 cusecs of water has been released into the Yamuna from Hathinikund barrage in Haryana, resulting in rise of the river in the national capital.
"The release of five lakh cusecs of water from the Hathinikund barrage is normal for Yamuna. But today only 25,000 cusecs of water is being released from the barrage," Delhi Chief Secretary DM Spoli said.
The 145-year-old double-decker rail-cum-road bridge over the Yamuna, which was shut for traffic for two days, was re-opened on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?