430 rhinos killed in South Africa since January
Pretoria: South Africa has lost a total of 430 rhinos to poaching since January, state-run news agency SA News reported.
"The latest rhino poaching statistics indicate that a total of 430 rhinos have been lost to illegal killings since the beginning of this year," the Department of Environmental Affairs said.
A total of 205 people have been arrested, the department said.
The Kruger National Park has lost 258 rhinos, whereas Limpopo, KwaZulu-Natal and the North West provinces continue to be hit by poachers, collectively accounting for the loss of 141 rhinos.
Of those arrested, 177 were poachers, 10 were receivers and 18 couriers.
The department has asked the public to report incidents of poaching or any tip-offs that could lead to arrests and prevent illegal killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site