430 rhinos killed in South Africa since January
Pretoria: South Africa has lost a total of 430 rhinos to poaching since January, state-run news agency SA News reported.
"The latest rhino poaching statistics indicate that a total of 430 rhinos have been lost to illegal killings since the beginning of this year," the Department of Environmental Affairs said.
A total of 205 people have been arrested, the department said.
The Kruger National Park has lost 258 rhinos, whereas Limpopo, KwaZulu-Natal and the North West provinces continue to be hit by poachers, collectively accounting for the loss of 141 rhinos.
Of those arrested, 177 were poachers, 10 were receivers and 18 couriers.
The department has asked the public to report incidents of poaching or any tip-offs that could lead to arrests and prevent illegal killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test