430 rhinos killed in South Africa since January
Pretoria: South Africa has lost a total of 430 rhinos to poaching since January, state-run news agency SA News reported.
"The latest rhino poaching statistics indicate that a total of 430 rhinos have been lost to illegal killings since the beginning of this year," the Department of Environmental Affairs said.
A total of 205 people have been arrested, the department said.
The Kruger National Park has lost 258 rhinos, whereas Limpopo, KwaZulu-Natal and the North West provinces continue to be hit by poachers, collectively accounting for the loss of 141 rhinos.
Of those arrested, 177 were poachers, 10 were receivers and 18 couriers.
The department has asked the public to report incidents of poaching or any tip-offs that could lead to arrests and prevent illegal killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official
- Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants