A solar sponge to soak up industrial carbon
Sydney: A `solar sponge` could be a feasible way of capturing carbon dioxide (CO2) from coal fired power stations and then releasing the gas after exposure to sunlight, shows a research.
"This is an exciting development for carbon capture because concentrated solar energy can be used instead of further coal-based energy to drive the process," said Matthew Hill, who led the Commonwealth Scientific Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) group conducting this research.
The CSIRO has utilised a new smart material called MOF (metal organic framework), to create the sponge, which absorbs as much as a litre of nitrogen gas in just one gram of material, the journal Angewandte Chemie reports.
This is possible because a single gram of MOF has the surface area of an entire football field, meaning that gases can be soaked up like a sponge to all of the internal surfaces within, according to a CSIRO statement.
"The capture and release process can be compared to soaking up water with a sponge and then wringing it out. When UV light hit the material its structure bends and twists and stored gas is released," said Hill, who was awarded a 2012 Eureka Prize for his MOF research.
Richelle Lyndon, also a Monash University student and study author, said: "The MOFs are impregnated with light-responsive azobenzene molecules which react to UV light and trigger the release of CO2.
"It is this reaction, and the material`s ability to bend and flex, which makes the material we have created so unique."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi