Bacteria breakthrough for ‘bio-batteries’
London: A team of scientists from the UK and the US have identified the power-generating mechanism used by well-known marine bacteria.
University of East Anglia collaborated with the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Washington on the research project.
Dr Tom Clarke , a lecturer at the school of biological sciences at the UEA, who led the research, told the BBC that the bacterium Shewanella oneidensis had been seen influencing levels of minerals in lakes and seas but no-one really knew how it did it.
The bacterium occurred globally in rivers and seas and are everywhere from the Amazon to the Baltic seas.
Clarke said that the scientists noticed that iron and manganese levels in the lake changed with seasons and happened in co-ordination with the bacteria`s growth patterns.
However, he said, what was not known was the method through which they brought about these changes in mineral concentrations.
To understand how the bacteria did it, Clarke and fellow researchers remade a synthetic version of the bacterium and discovered that the organism generated a charge, and effected a chemical change, when in direct contact with the mineral surface.
Clarke said that understanding the mechanism gave scientists a chance to harness it and use it as a power source in places and for devices and processes in inaccessible or hostile environments.
Clarke added that it is very useful as a model system and the bacteria are very robust, as can be seen in the lab as the researchers are very rough with it but still the bacteria puts on with them.
The research has been published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre