Ban captivity of dolphins in India: FIAPO
New Delhi: Welcoming the environment ministry decision that dolphinariums or captive dolphin facilities will not be allowed in India, animal protection groups Thursday called for a complete ban on captivity of these animals.
"Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan has stated that she will not allow captive dolphin facilities known as dolphinariums in India. This is a hugely encouraging step in the right direction," a spokesperson for Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organisations (FIAPO) said in a statement.
"We hope that the environment minister will actively legislate a complete prohibition on the keeping of acquatic mammals like dolphins, whales in captivity in India," the statement said.
According to FIAPO, a umbrella body of animal protection groups from across the country, states like Maharashtra, Delhi, Kerala, Goa, Gujarat, Andamans and Lakshadweep have put out proposals to establish commercial marine mammal captive facilities or dolphinaria.
"These mega development projects not only threaten eco-sensitive coastal areas but also promote animal cruelty in the form of marine mammal captivity," the statement said.
The animal right activist said that removing dolphins from the ocean and putting them into small tanks or sea pens in dolphinariums and making them perform for commercial entertainment, is forcing them to endure a life of misery in captivity
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP