Christmas trees absorb super greenhouse gas methane
Washington: Christmas trees are absorbing methane, a super greenhouse gas that they were previously suspected of emitting, scientists claim.
The discovery that some trees are absorbing methane comes from Elin Sundqvist and colleagues at Lund University and Stockholm University in Sweden.
They did forest and laboratory measurements and analysed gases being exchanged by tree branches of pine, spruce and birch trees under a variety of conditions, Discovery News reported.
"In contrast to earlier studies of CH4 (methane) exchange by plants, we find a net consumption by all plants studied both in situ and in the laboratory," researchers concluded.
The discovery could offer a new explanation to an observed levelling off of methane concentrations in Earth`s atmosphere, the researchers said.
Earlier work they cited suggested that the methane levels were slowing as a result of less fossil fuel burning while another study suggested that maybe there were fewer microbes making methane in the Northern hemisphere.
"Our results offer a third explanation: that an increasing amount of CH4 has been taken up by vegetation during the last decades as a consequence of increased greenness," the researchers said.
In other words, the observed increases in vegetation (greening) could mean trees are working harder at absorbing methane.
The study was published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic