CPCB uploads list of industrial units polluting Ganga on its website
New Delhi: Following an order of National Green Tribunal (NGT), the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) has uploaded a list of 972 industrial units polluting river Ganga and its tributaries on its website, government said on Thursday.
"A list of 972 polluting industries has been uploaded on the CPCB website," Minister of State for Environment and Forests Prakash Javadekar said during Question Hour in Rajya Sabha.
He also informed that closure notices have been issued in some cases.
NGT on July 4 had ordered the CPCB to upload the list of all polluting units of Uttar Pradesh discharging effluents in river Ganga and its tributaries in the public domain.
"CPCB has already identified the Grossly Polluting Industries (GPI) on the basis of concentration of pollutants in effluent dischaged into river Ganga. NGT, however has ordered for categorisation of all polluting units in UP," the Minister added.
He said one-third of industrial waste goes into water bodies without treatment and action will be taken against polluting units.
To another question, Javadekar said the requirement of obtaining Terms of References (ToR) has been dispensed with for highway expansion projects.
Conditions for obtaining environment clearance for national highway expansion projects have been relaxed. However, only those expansion projects where the expansion is over 100 kms will require environment clearance, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why