De-weeding of Dal Lake on
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government`s
effort to preserve the world famous Dal lake by carrying out
de-weeding is on, even as a major portion of the water body
has frozen due to intense cold conditions in Kashmir.
"Sustained development work for restoring the glory of
the world famous Dal Lake has started yielding positive
results," an official spokesman said after a visit by Deputy
Chief Minister Tara Chand to the lake yesterday.
Chand inspected the lake and directed the authorities
concerned to extract the weed on war footing basis, he said.
Meanwhile, the lake was partially frozen and covered with
a thick layer of ice as cold wave tightened its grip in
The boatmen had to break the ice layer with their spade-
shaped oars to move around the lake.
Chand also instructed early completion of pavements and
parapet walls around the lake, the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price