De-weeding of Dal Lake on
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government`s
effort to preserve the world famous Dal lake by carrying out
de-weeding is on, even as a major portion of the water body
has frozen due to intense cold conditions in Kashmir.
"Sustained development work for restoring the glory of
the world famous Dal Lake has started yielding positive
results," an official spokesman said after a visit by Deputy
Chief Minister Tara Chand to the lake yesterday.
Chand inspected the lake and directed the authorities
concerned to extract the weed on war footing basis, he said.
Meanwhile, the lake was partially frozen and covered with
a thick layer of ice as cold wave tightened its grip in
The boatmen had to break the ice layer with their spade-
shaped oars to move around the lake.
Chand also instructed early completion of pavements and
parapet walls around the lake, the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!