Do tigers have AIDS? Govt says `no`
New Delhi: Is there any evidence of HIV/AIDS in lions and tigers, asked an MP in August 2010. Two years later, the Environment Ministry has come out with its verdict: "No evidence."
The question was posed by Tufani Saroj, a Samajwadi Party member of the Lok Sabha from Machhlishahr in Uttar Pradesh.
Then environment minister Jairam Ramesh had promised to get an answer to the query.
According to a senior environment ministry official, the matter was referred to the Wildlife Institute of India (WII).
The Dehradun-based WII is engaged in research related to conservation and management of wildlife, biodiversity and eco-development.
"After two years we have received the reply from experts saying there is no evidence of HIV/AIDS in lions and tigers," the official told a news agency.
Not everyone in the ministry was amused by the question.
One official said it was an irrelevant subject that ended up consuming public money on getting an answer to the question.
The written reply will be provided to Saroj in the monsoon session of parliament starting Wednesday.
As per the 2010 census, there are just 1,706 tigers left in India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!