Expedition finds biodiversity around undersea mountain
Rio de Janeiro: A group of scientists aboard a submarine capable of diving to depths of 6,500 meters discovered an "oasis" of biodiversity around the South Atlantic`s largest undersea mountain, located off the coast of Brazil.
"The dive we took allowed us to confirm that on this side of the Atlantic, as well as on other undersea mountains, we have a great variety" of marine life, Universidad del Vale do Itajai researcher Jose Angel Alvarez Perez told EFE.
The biologist and oceanographer, one of the few Brazilian scientists taking part in the expedition, said he observed a large number of animals.
"Beautiful cold water corals that have a lot of life around them: starfish, brittle stars, holothuroidea (sea cucumbers) and fish," the scientist said.
The expedition`s Japanese-made Shinkai 6500 mini-submarine has the capacity to carry three people - two crewmen and a scientist - and is equipped with mechanical arms and high-resolution cameras, allowing researchers to observe the Rio Grande Elevation, an undersea geological formation, for the first time.
The Japanese sub previously explored the central Indian Ocean and is headed for the Caribbean and then the Pacific Ocean around Tonga.
Four Brazilian scientists, a National Geological Service geologist and a geologist from state-controlled oil giant Petrobras were invited to take part in the expedition, which began April 13 and ends May 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez