Fossils of first bird with teeth discovered
Washington: Birds have a beak to manipulate their food but a new fossil discovery found that some birds evolved teeth adapted for specialised diets.
A study of the teeth of a new species of early bird, Sulcavis geeorum, suggested this bird had a durophagous diet, meaning the bird`s teeth were capable of eating prey with hard exoskeletons like insects or crabs.
The researchers believe the teeth of the new specimen greatly increase the known diversity of tooth shape in early birds, and hints at previously unrecognised ecological diversity, the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology reported.
Sulcavis geeorum is an enantiornithine bird from the Early Cretaceous (121-125 million years ago) of Liaoning Province, China.
Enantiornithine birds are an early group of birds, and the most numerous birds from the Mesozoic (the time of the dinosaurs).
Sulcavis is the first discovery of a bird with ornamented tooth enamel. The dinosaurs from which birds evolved are mostly characterised by carnivorous teeth with special features for eating meat.
The enantiornithines are unique among birds in showing minimal tooth reduction and a diversity of dental patterns. This new enantiornithine has robust teeth with grooves on the inside surface, which likely strengthened the teeth against harder food items.
No previous bird species have preserved ridges, striations, serrated edges, or any other form of dental ornamentation.
"While other birds were losing their teeth, enantiornithines were evolving new morphologies and dental specialisations. We still don`t understand why enantiornithines were so successful in the Cretaceous but then died out maybe differences in diet played a part," Jingmai O`Connor, lead author of the new study, said in a statement.
"This study highlights again how uneven the diversity of birds was during the Cretaceous. There are many more enantiornithines than any other group of early birds, each one with its own anatomical specialisation," said study co-author Luis Chiappe, from Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why