Higher CO2 levels may help wheat
Sydney: High carbon dioxide (CO2) levels caused by climate change might actually help wheat survive in drought like conditions, says an Australian research.
In the world`s first ever study, doctoral student Eduardo Dias de Oliveira from the University of Western Australia (UWA), found that exposure of wheat to CO2, helps it cope better with high temperatures and water restrictions.
As long as the temperature does not rise two degrees Celsius (2C) more than average, combining the effects of elevated CO2 and high temperature with water restrictions actually improves biomass and grain yield, the journal Functioning Plant Biology.
Dias de Oliveira`s finding could have significant impact on the future of crop production in the Mediterranean-type climatic wheat-growing regions of Australia, where climate change is expected to have a severe impact on annual yields of 20 million tonnes of wheat over the next 50 years.
Dias de Oliveira compared three scenarios in specially designed tunnel houses at UWA`s Shenton Park Research Station with and without drought and elevated CO2 conditions at 2C, 4C and 6C above ambient temperature, according to an UWA statement.
Two bread-wheat genotypes, the vigorous line 38-19 and the non-vigorous cultivar Janz, were grown in the tunnel houses. Janz is a high yielding semi-dwarf cultivar.
Kadambot Siddique, professor and study co-author, said that while at 2C above ambient temperature, yields were indeed enhanced regardless of whether they were well-watered or not, the combination of elevated CO2 at 4C or 6C above the ambient temperature tended to decrease wheat biomass and grain yield.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know