Honey bee brains can help make robots smarter
London: Researchers are creating models of the neural systems in a bee`s brain that could help robots act more independently.
Scientists from the Universities of Sheffield and Sussex are studying the way that bees smell and see to produce a simulation of the insect`s sensory systems.
The simulated bee brain will then be used by a flying robot to help it make decisions about how to navigate safely.
The research aims to create models of the neural systems in a bee`s brain that helps it make sense of what it sees and smells, the BBC News reported.
The working model of the sensory systems will then be used in a robot to see if it can move around the world with the sophistication of a honey bee.
Robots that emerge from the research project could help in search and rescue missions or work on farms mechanically pollinating crops.
Dr James Marshall, a computer scientist at the University of Sheffield co-ordinating the project, said simulating a brain was one of the "major challenges" of artificial intelligence.
"Before now, many of the attempts to recreate biological brains in silicon have focused on the cognitive systems found in humans, monkeys and mice. But, simpler organisms such as social insects have surprisingly advanced cognitive abilities," he said.
Honey bees are well known for their unerring ability to find their way back to a colony or hive. They are believed to use the position of the sun as a reference point and can compensate for its movement across the sky when calculating the route they need to return home.
"Because the honey bee brain is smaller and more accessible than any vertebrate brain, we hope to eventually be able to produce an accurate and complete model that we can test within a flying robot," said Marshall.
The models of the sensory systems will run on a cluster of powerful graphics cards that can carry out the calculations needed to simulate bee brains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan