Increase in Tiger population in Uttar Pradesh
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: There may be an increase in the number of Tigers in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, as per a new census, conducted using camera traps.
As per 2010-11 census, the total count of tigers were 118 in Dudhwa Reserve. While the current census is ongoing, the final count in the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve might be around 125, according to officials.
The latest findings have been forwarded to the Union Ministry of Environment and Forest for screening purposes.
Kishenpur wildlife sanctuary and Dudhwa national park which form core of the reserve have seen camera-trapping exercises. Primary findings have also come for Pilibhit forest division, which is now a separate reserve.
This time, a pair of cameras were fitted in every 1.6 kilometres in the core areas of the forests in such a way that it could record tigers of any age, height or built.
According to sources, around 382 pictures have been downloaded from these cameras and they show the presence of around a dozen new cubs in the core area. These photographs are being studied extensively to find out the exact number of new cubs.
At least 382 pictures have been captured by the cameras at the Dudhwa and the Kishenpur National Parks alone. However, officials think many of these photographs could be repetitions of the same tiger and that proper analysation needs to be done.
The official Tiger census by the National Tiger Conservation Authority is on since November 15 last year at Dudhwa.
(With Agencies Input)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand