`India inching towards water scarcity`
Bangkok: India is "inching towards water scarcity" and the situation in several states is critical as ground water levels are depleting at an alarming rate, Union Minister for Water Resources said on Wednesday.
Speaking to a news agency on the sidelines of the Second Asia Pacific Water Summit, Harish Rawat called for treating water as a "community resource."
"We are a water stressed nation inching towards water scarcity," Rawat said.
He added that the situation in parts of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and north west India was critical as ground water was dipping at an alarming rate.
"Ground water fulfils 80 per cent of our water needs but its use is being over exploited in many areas," he said while suggesting "an increase in storage capacities" as a means to deal with the depleting water levels.
Also, Rawat talked about "inter basin transfer from surplus flood water areas to water scarce drought areas" as a possible measure to address the problem.
"States are now being persuaded to have basin approach while dealing with water projects," he added. He also focussed on the need for water to be used more efficiently for uses like irrigation through new technology, recycling and reuse.
The summit participants in the final declaration agreed to allocate resources towards water and sanitation sectors, increase transfer of technology, improve irrigation systems and encourage appropriate consideration of water issues in the discussion of the UN development agenda.
The theme of the two-day summit held in the norther Thai city of Chiang Mai was "Water security and Water-related Disasters Challenges: Leadership and Commitment."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire