Killer whales trapped in ice free themselves
Washington: It was a scene reminiscent of a motion picture "Big Miracle" which told a real life story of whales trapped under ice in 1988, and a small town trying frantically, but ill-equipped to free them.
In this real life scenario Thursday in the remote northeastern Canadian village of Inukjuak, 11 killer whales that were trapped with only a small area of open water for them to surface and get air, were able to free themselves, the Inukjuak mayor`s office said.
Scouts sent to check on the trapped whales discovered a passage stretching some 40 km through the Hudson Bay, leaving a path to open water. The ice hole where the mammals had been trapped was empty.
"It was mother nature that helped them," Inukjuak Mayor Petah Inukpuk told NBC News.
"When there is a new moon, the water current is activated it could have helped completely trap them but in this case it caused an open passage out to the open water," he said.
The killer whales, also known as Orcas, were first discovered trapped under ice in the Hudson Bay Tuesday. Residents in the secluded Inuit village watched helplessly as the whales, ranging in size from 16 to 26 feet, struggled to breathe out of a hole roughly the size of a pickup truck, trying to survive.
The community requested assistance from the Canadian government, but the request was denied, officials said, because help was too far away. That was until the whales apparently helped themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org