NE states, HP in top slots of environment index
Chennai: Five north eastern states along with Himachal Pradesh have been rated as the most environmentally sustainable states in the country, according to the Environmental Sustainable Index 2011 released today by a city-based think tank here.
The report rates Manipur, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Sikkim and Himachal Pradesh in the top slots in its Environmental Sustainable Index 2011.
It was released by Centre for Development Finance (CDF), affiliated to Institute for Financial Management and Research.
Among the high GDP states, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal ranked low in the chart, while Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka have managed to balance economic growth and environmental quality.
Despite their abundant natural resources, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar have fallen under the moderate and below moderate categories.
Commenting on the report, researcher Kadambari Anantram of CDF said, "This indicates that these states face challenges in sustainable development due to degradation, more stress on the ecosystem and/or less responsive policies and institutions."
ESI has 41 key environmental indicators and are grouped into nine thematic sub indices from a policy perspective - air quality and pollution, water quality and availability, land use and agriculture, forests and biodiversity, waste management, energy management, health impact, population pressure and environmental budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur