New species of dragon tree discovered in Thailand
Bangkok: Scientists have discovered a new species of dragon tree in Thailand.
The newly discovered dragon tree species `Dracaena kaweesakii` is characterised by its extensive branching and can reach 12 m in both height and crown diameter.
It has soft sword-shaped leaves with white edges and cream flowers with bright orange filaments, all highly distinctive features.
Dracaena kaweesakii is a relative of the Canary Island dragon tree Dracaena draco. It is an ecologically important species found only on limestone hills and mountains that are often associated with Buddhist temples in Thailand.
Dracaena kaweesakii is extracted from the wild for use in horticulture in Thailand and is one of the more popular species due to its extensive branching.
Dracaena species in general are thought by Thai people to bring luck to households that have them, hence their popularity.
The discovery was published in the journal Phytokeys.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today