New species of dragon tree discovered in Thailand
Bangkok: Scientists have discovered a new species of dragon tree in Thailand.
The newly discovered dragon tree species `Dracaena kaweesakii` is characterised by its extensive branching and can reach 12 m in both height and crown diameter.
It has soft sword-shaped leaves with white edges and cream flowers with bright orange filaments, all highly distinctive features.
Dracaena kaweesakii is a relative of the Canary Island dragon tree Dracaena draco. It is an ecologically important species found only on limestone hills and mountains that are often associated with Buddhist temples in Thailand.
Dracaena kaweesakii is extracted from the wild for use in horticulture in Thailand and is one of the more popular species due to its extensive branching.
Dracaena species in general are thought by Thai people to bring luck to households that have them, hence their popularity.
The discovery was published in the journal Phytokeys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read