NGOs to discuss massive green clearances to projects
New Delhi: Over 100 NGOs from across India will come together on one platform with government and industry representatives this week to discuss the issue of large number of environment and forest clearances issued in the last few years.
Organised by the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), the two-day event Feb 24-25 will see discussion on clearance processes, whether these processes are working, and what they aim to achieve.
According to the CSE, a viewpoint that has been currently voiced in some forums in the country is that environmental and forest clearances are hampering economic development by delaying projects.
The CSE carried out a detailed and comprehensive analysis of the clearances granted in the last five years - and the findings are nothing less than startling.
In the last five years, the country has seen more clearances than those planned for even during the 11th and 12th Five Year Plans.
"The dialogue is being planned in an effort to take these findings forward. We are hoping to bring together all the stakeholders in this debate - government, civil society and industry - on one platform to discuss clearance processes," said a CSE statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!