Pollution in Beijing reaches dangerous levels
Beijing: Pollution in Beijing and surrounding areas Thursday returned to dangerous levels for the second time in a week, Chinese environmental authorities said.
The air pollution has been aggravated by a sandstorm originating in Inner Mongolia.
The concentration of tiny particulate matter in the air, considered especially dangerous due to its ability to get into the lungs and the bloodstream, exceeded 400 micrograms per cubic meter, according to measurements made by the Environmental Control Center in Beijing.
According to the equipment installed at the US Embassy in the Chinese capital, the concentration Thursday morning exceeded 500 micrograms and the poor air quality index reached 516 points, which is above the 500-point level considered to be the maximum (or worst) on the scale.
Poor visibility in the capital area has led to the cancellation of flights at the Beijing airport.
The heavy air pollution registered in China`s main cities in January and February has increased concerns about the country`s environmental situation as well as pressure on Beijing to accelerate measures to reduce pollution, including imposing a tax on carbon dioxide emissions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal