Population of migratory water birds declines in India
New Delhi:The population of migratory water birds has been decreasing in India every year and their migratory pattern has also seen a change due to global climate changes, a census has revealed.
The migratory pattern of these birds has been changing due to global climate changes, declining wetland habitats, various local threats and disturbances by human interference, Asian Waterbird Census (AWC), conducted by Wetland International (South Asia), the global NGO dedicated to sustaining, restoring wetlands and water birds, has said in the report.
T K Roy, AWC Delhi`s Coordinator of Wetland International - South Asia, said that there are 26 Ramsar Sites (wetlands of international importance) in India, declared by Ramsar Convention of Wetlands.
"During study, we found that population of water birds, including migratory water birds, (long distant and local species) is decreasing even at the Ramsar Sites - Deepor Beel (Assam), Sambhar Lake (Rajasthan), Ropar Wetland (Punjab), Bhitarrkanika Mangroves (Odissa), Harike Wetland (Punjab), Pong Dam Lake (Himachal Pradesh) and among others.
The reason behind their decreasing numbers could be global climate changes, declining waterland habitats, fluctuation of water level, human interference and pressure for over exploitation of natural resources of the wetlands, disturbances and increasing environmental pollutions," said Roy.
Roy, an ecologist, also said that the population of migratory water birds is not only decreasing at these Ramsar sites, but other wetlands, which have not been earmarked by Ramsar Convention of Wetlands, are also witnessing decreasing numbers of migratory water birds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured