Rare king cheetahs born in Japan
Tokyo: Two king cheetahs, of which only a few dozen are believed to exist in captivity, were born last month at Tama Zoo in the Japanese capital, a park spokesperson said.
The two cubs, which due to a genetic mutation are characterized by the spots on their fur flowing together in lengthwise lines along their backs, are part of a litter of 5 cubs, three of which were born with normal spots.
The zoo plans to begin showing the pair of king cheetahs and their three siblings to the public next month when the weather is warmer, given that these animals are very sensitive to the cold.
The mother, a 9-year-old import from South Africa called Sumire, gave birth two years ago to a female king cheetah, for which she is believed to carry a recessive gene that produces this odd skin pattern, even though her own coat is normal.
Tama Zoo, where two other king cheetahs were born in October 2011 called Ibuki and Woshren, is the only zoo in Japan that possesses these unusual felines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- (manresult.nic.in) Manipur HSLC Results 2016 declared; Manipur HSLC exam result 2016, Manipur Board Class 10 result
- US presidential Donald Trump takes poll lead over Hillary Clinton
- Fan parks across eight cities to showcase IPL play-offs
- Sensex logs first rise in five sessions on earnings lift
- Goa SSC (Class 10) Examination Results 2016 to be declared on May 25: (goaresults.nic.in) GBSHSE 10th board results, Goa Board (GBSHSE) SSC (Class 10) Examination Results 2016