SC slams MCD on Yamuna river pollution
New Delhi: Terming the MCD as "the biggest polluter" of Yamuna, the Supreme Court today rebuked the civic body for saying that it has nothing to do with the pollution of the river and warned it that all its three commissioners would have to appear before the court if it persisted with its stand.
"You (MCD) are the biggest polluter. You allow all domestic and industrial effluents into the river. Yet you take the stand that the MCD has no role to play," a bench of justices A K Patnaik and Swatanter Kumar observed.
The apex court told the counsel to take a clear stand on the efforts being made by it along with other agencies to clean the river.
"You have been polluting the river and still being cool about it. If you continue to take the stand then all your three commissioners will have to be present here at the next meeting and explain," the bench told MCD counsel Sanjib Sen.
The counsel drew the apex court`s ire after he submitted that unlike other agencies, the MCD has no role to play in de-pollution driver.
On February 27, the apex court had asked the Centre and the governments of Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh to furnish information on expenditure incurred by them for making the Yamuna clean.
It had asked the Central Water Pollution Control Board to take sample of water of river Yamuna and submit a report on its cleanliness.
"The Central Water Pollution Control Board shall take samples of water of river Yamuna from the states of Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh till Agra and submit their report within four weeks," the bench had said.
It directed all the authorities related to the work of controlling the river`s pollution to give details of the steps taken by them in this regard. The court had issued the direction taking suo motu cognisance of an article on pollution in Yamuna published in a national daily in 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30