SC slams MCD on Yamuna river pollution
New Delhi: Terming the MCD as "the biggest polluter" of Yamuna, the Supreme Court today rebuked the civic body for saying that it has nothing to do with the pollution of the river and warned it that all its three commissioners would have to appear before the court if it persisted with its stand.
"You (MCD) are the biggest polluter. You allow all domestic and industrial effluents into the river. Yet you take the stand that the MCD has no role to play," a bench of justices A K Patnaik and Swatanter Kumar observed.
The apex court told the counsel to take a clear stand on the efforts being made by it along with other agencies to clean the river.
"You have been polluting the river and still being cool about it. If you continue to take the stand then all your three commissioners will have to be present here at the next meeting and explain," the bench told MCD counsel Sanjib Sen.
The counsel drew the apex court`s ire after he submitted that unlike other agencies, the MCD has no role to play in de-pollution driver.
On February 27, the apex court had asked the Centre and the governments of Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh to furnish information on expenditure incurred by them for making the Yamuna clean.
It had asked the Central Water Pollution Control Board to take sample of water of river Yamuna and submit a report on its cleanliness.
"The Central Water Pollution Control Board shall take samples of water of river Yamuna from the states of Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh till Agra and submit their report within four weeks," the bench had said.
It directed all the authorities related to the work of controlling the river`s pollution to give details of the steps taken by them in this regard. The court had issued the direction taking suo motu cognisance of an article on pollution in Yamuna published in a national daily in 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden