Shashi Tharoor awarded for working towards animal protection
New Delhi: Minister of State for Human Resource Development Shashi Tharoor has been awarded by PETA-India for his contribution to the protection of animals, the animal rights body said Friday.
According to the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India, Tharoor has been instrumental in encouraging the director of the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) to examine PETA`s Central Board of Secondary Education-approved programme for inclusion into its textbooks.
"We are thankful to minister Tharoor for his work and for recognising that animals deserve kindness and consideration," said Poorva Joshipura, PETA India chief executive officer in a statement here.
Tharoor had also a written a letter to union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad and urged him to implement methods of teaching in medical courses that do not harm animals.
In 2012, the ministry of environment and forests issued a directive instructing all the institutes and establishments associated with teaching of medical, pharmacy and other graduate and postgraduate courses in life sciences to follow the guidelines for discontinuation of dissection and animal experimentation.
"The use of animal dissection in teaching at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels is completely avoidable, and the University Grants Commission has already taken up the matter with universities that are teaching life sciences," said Tharoor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'